Today, February 4th is World Cancer Day and kicks off National Cancer Prevention Month. World Cancer Day is a day to unite the world in the fight against cancer. It aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about the disease, pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action.
World Cancer Day 2014
World Cancer Day is a global event dedicated to dispelling widespread “myth-information” about cancer risk – including the myth that we are powerless against cancer.
National Cancer Prevention Month
7 Steps to prevent cancer.
You will notice that he advice for cutting cancer risk resembles advice for preventing other chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes – not to mention for getting in shape? I learned of this similarity when reading posts on www.sideeffectsofxarelto.org when a family member started using heart medication. It’s a win win to embark on a healthy lifestyle and it’s cheaper and safer than drugs.
Cancer is now the leading cause of mortality worldwide.
AICR estimates that approximately one-third of cases of the most common cancers in the U.S. could be prevented by eating healthy, being active, and staying lean. That’s an estimated 374,000 cases of cancer in the United States that would never happen. Imagine that!
Community Cancer Screenings at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center
toll-free (888) 616-4687.
When Someone You Love Is Being Treated for Cancer
This booklet is for you if you’re helping your loved one get through cancer treatment, you will find tips for being as supportive as possible and taking care of yourself in the process! Download booklet here.
If you are one of the many that will have a loved one battle cancer, an Healing Gift Basket is a simple yet thoughtful gift to consider as they go through treatment. Courage, Hope & Strength are just a few things needed to fight breast cancer, why not let them know you are thinking of them by sending a gift basket.
List of items to include in an Healing Gift Basket:
- Magazines or Crossword puzzles
- Lavender neck wrap, candle or bath products, the scent of lavender is often found to be relaxing and soothing.
- A new robe, slippers or comfy socks.
- Ginger – Approximately 70% of all patients receiving chemotherapy experience some degree of nausea. Ginger is found in cookies, candies, teas and other drinks.
- Mug with tea
- Scent free lotion – the body can use the moisture but the nose might not do well with too much fragrance.
- Lip balm
- Light scented bath products
- Mints and gum
- iTunes gift card for calming music
- Spa gift card
- Inspirational items, quotes or scriptures of courage, strength, peace, love and faith.
- Chocolate and healthy snacks
- Journal and pen
- Yoga DVD for a calming strength and flexibility workout
Of course the very best gift you can give to someone battling cancer, is your time. Visit with them, offer to bring meals, clean the house, watch the kids. We can all do something, no matter how small, to positively affect change and make a huge difference. Learn more at http://www.worldcancerday.org/