I am forever looking for new, quick and easy, meals to make for my family of four boys and a man. The “what’s for dinner” dilemma is ever present at our home. My growing boys are slowly but surely eating me out of house and home and I’m finding it difficult to feed them hearty meals on the go. I recently came across this recipe and it had me at sweet mini peppers! While my boys and I don’t really enjoy the taste of regular bell peppers, we love sweet mini peppers. These are so good you can eat them raw, great snack! In this Weeknight Pepper Steak recipe the peppers add sweetness and a bit of tang but they aren’t bitter.
Your kids will love them!
I’m usually short on time and don’t have a lot of it to prep my meals as I would like, so I take short cuts wherever I can. I always use a store bought Cajun Trinity mixture for recipes that call for onions and I use Organic Squeeze Minced Garlic instead of fresh minced garlic. Works like a charm and adds even more flavor.
- (Whisk together in a bowl and set aside.)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely-ground black pepper (or more/less to taste)
- 1 to 2 lbs of thinly sliced flank steak or sirloin (1/2 inches strips)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 to 15 mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced (or 2 regular-sized bell peppers, thinly sliced)
- 3 scallions
- 1 small onion sliced them or chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sweet peppers, onion, ginger, garlic, and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Move to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the saute pan. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add steak; cook and stir 2 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in gravy mixture, onion and peppers.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Throw in scallions in the last minute of cooking and give another toss. Serve over cooked rice, if desired.