Nothing says comfort food like warm, homemade muffins. These Dark Chocolate Berry Muffins are flavorful, full of antioxidants and all around goodness. Homemade muffins make a quick breakfast or easy snack, but there isn’t always time in the morning to whip up a batch.
You can prepare this recipe ahead of time and keep in an airtight container for a quick breakfast before school or even on the go. They keep great in the refrigerator, heat in the microwave for 7 seconds and they’re like fresh out of the oven again. They can even be frozen and mocrowaved for 30 seconds. To freeze, let them cool completely and individually wrap each muffin with plastic wrap then place in airtight freezer bag.
- 1 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 c. milk
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 2/3 brown sugar
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups frozen or fresh berries - blueberries or raspberries or both (if using fresh, freeze for 30 minutes)
- 1 c. mini dark chocolate chips (preferably Ghirardelli)
- Soak the oats in milk for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or use liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and mini chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. On low speed, add flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Do not overmix. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix until just combined. Fold in berries. Do not over-mix. Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 to 15 muffins.
Latest posts by Tiany Davis (see all)
- Chalk Your Walk Baton Rouge – Spread joy and kindness! - March 21, 2020
- Louisiana Boot Trail – Sharing Hope & Cheer One Window at a Time! - March 17, 2020
- Introducing Baton Rouge Virtual Playdates – Join us for some virtual fun! - March 16, 2020