It’s getting to be that time. The holiday candy and cookies are starting to come out, holiday parties are booked. How can I indulge but not overdo?
Here are 8 Tips for Surviving Holiday Indulgences:
- Take an extra class at the gym whether it is Zumba, Yoga, Spin class anything to get some extra cardio in and take a little holiday stress off.
- Sign up for a holiday themed 5k. Here are a couple local ones in Baton Rouge: http://www.turkeytrotbr.com/ http://www.forum35.org/?page=RR
- Go dress shopping ladies. Yes, dress shopping. Find a flattering, snug dress for a holiday party. Instant weight management!
- Eat a small snack before leaving for your holiday party or dinner. Whether it is raw almonds, carrots with hummus, anything to take the edge off of your hunger so you don’t over indulge. Drink lots of water throughout the day which will naturally make you more full.
- Watch your calories in alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic drinks such as Egg Nog. Choose lighter varieties. Tip: Champagne only has 110 calories per 5 oz. versus White Russian 307 calories per 5 oz.
- Skip the hors d’oeuvres. You know there will be plenty of dinner offerings to satisfy you and this way you can save a little room for dessert!
- Survey party offerings before filling your plate. Include vegetables and fruits to keep your plate balanced. Enjoy smaller portions of your holiday favorites. Eat until you are satisfied not stuffed. If possible sit far away from tempting dishes.
- Bring your own healthy dish to a holiday potluck so you know at least one dish that you can enjoy guilt free. Look up some healthy holiday cooking recipes to experiment and learn where you cut back on calories.
It is the holidays and you can enjoy without the guilt!