As moms, we often put the needs of our families in front of our own. But we must remember, to care for our family, WE need to be healthy! And that means being on guard against cancer.
Breast Cancer Fast Facts
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- An estimated 232,340 new cases in women and 2,240 new cases in men of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur in the U.S. during 2013.
- Breast cancer is second, only to lung cancer, in cancer deaths among women in the U.S.
- About 39,620 women and 410 men in the U.S. are expected to die from breast cancer in 2013.
- There is not any official study that proves that breast surgery (הגדלת-חזה) leads to cancer of any sort or prevent it either.
- One case of breast cancer is diagnosed every two minutes, and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the U.S.
- African American women have higher rates of distant stage breast cancer than white women and are more likely, in the U.S. to be diagnosed with larger tumors than white women.
- Although men are diagnosed at a much smaller rate than women, their chances for being diagnosed with breast cancer also increase with age. In fact, most cases of breast in men occur between the ages of 65 and 67.
- There are 2.9 million breast cancer survivors alive in the U.S. today – the largest group of all cancer survivors.
- About 80-90% of breast cancers in women without symptoms in the U.S. will be detected by mammography.
- Only 53% of women 40 and older in the U.S. reported having a mammogram in the last year.
Throughout the month of October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Mary Bird Perkins is also partnering with local schools, organizations and businesses to raise awareness and funds to fight cancer in our community. Go to http://www.mbpolol.org/
Baton Rouge Moms
Latest posts by Baton Rouge Moms (see all)
- Boo at the Zoo – Halloween Fun at BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo - October 10, 2019
- Baton Rouge Halloween Parade: Fifolet Festival & Fun Run - October 9, 2019
- Swamp Haunted Hikes – BREC’s Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center - October 6, 2019